The Village of Villa Park is committed to maintaining services during the COVID-19 response and the closure of village facilities to the public. In light of this, the village is now accepting online payments for permits, inspections, and other related services. No convenience fees will be charged for these online payments.
Payments can be made via Square. Square accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, and Google Pay. The village’s online store can be visited via the link below. Once in the store, customers should select the service they are paying for, fill out the required information, and proceed to checkout. Because the prices of building permits vary depending on the type and scope of work, customers must enter the dollar amount of the payment as the quantity to be purchased.
The Village of Villa Park Public Works Department Permitting Division is responsible for the review and issuance of most permits in the Village of Villa Park. The following information is provided to assist residents, businesses, contractors, and other applicants with the permitting process.
Building Permit Applications
All building permits begin with a Building Permit Application (PDF). This application form is to be used for both residential and commercial permit applications. The permit application form must be filled out in its entirety, and must be signed by the property owner. Alternatively, a copy of an executed contract signed by the property owner may be submitted in lieu of the property owner’s signature on the actual permit application form.
After the permit application has been completed, it should be submitted to the Village of Villa Park Public Works Department at 11 West Home Avenue. From there, the permit will either be taken in for plan review, or processed as an "over-the-counter" permit. Over-the-counter permits are issued for work that is minor in nature and does not require plan review, including roofing, windows, siding, gutters, soffit, and fascia.
For other types of projects, please refer to the Permit Application Checklists below, or contact the Permitting Division at 630-834-8505 to inquire about requirements for a particular project.
what work requires a building permit?
A building permit is required for all new buildings and for changes, improvements, and repairs to existing buildings. Work that requires a permit includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- New homes and buildings
- Building additions
- Siding, gutters, soffit, and fascia
- Accessible ramps and lifts
- Driveways, driveway approaches, sidewalks, and curbs
- Decks, patios, gazebos, and pergolas
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas
- Dog runs
- Business signs
- Changes to a building entry or exit
- Changes to a structural member or bearing support
- Removal of any wall, partition, floor, ceiling, or roof
There is some work for which a building permit is not required. A permit is not required for projects that include ONLY the following work:
- Floor coverings
If there are any questions about whether or not a permit is required, please contact the Permitting Division at 630-834-8505 to inquire.
Certificate of Insurance Notice:
Building and Fire Codes
- Village of Villa Park Building and Fire Codes (PDF)
- The Village of Villa Park currently operates under the following codes:
- This list of Building and Fire Codes went into effect on August 8, 2011, adopted through Ord. 3662, with local amendments:
- 2009 International Building Code
- 2009 International Mechanical Code
- 2009 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2009 International Residential Code
- 2009 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2014 Illinois Plumbing Code
- 2018 Illinois Accessibility
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2005 National Electric Code
- 2009 International Existing Building Code
- 2009 International Fire Code
*As of July 1, 2019 the Village will be using the 2018 International Energy Conservation Code, which will supplant the 2015 International Energy Code.
ComEd Revision to Overhead Service Attachments Requirements
ComEd is amending their requirements to Overhead Service Attachments. Effective immediately, ComEd now requires that all new service heads shall be located no more than 25’ above the ground AND must be positioned so that the service wire installation has safe access from an extension ladder. The new requirements can be accessed below:
- Consumers Guide to Electric Service Installation or Revision (PDF)
- Service and Meter Requirements (PDF)
General Contractor Registration:
All general contractors must be registered in the Village of Villa Park. The fee is $75. All general contractor licenses are valid for one year from date of issue.
All General Contractors listed on the building permit application shall show proof of a $2,000,000 aggregate insurance policy, $1,000,000 for public liability insurance, and $1,000,000 for property damage insurance. The Village of Villa Park must be listed as certificate holder and as an additional insured. The Certificate of Insurance must also include the "Additional Insured Endorsement Page".
General Contractors Application
To receive your General Contractors Card, print out and complete the General Contractors Application (PDF), and submit it with payment to:
Village of Villa Park
Public Works Department
11 West Home Avenue
Villa Park, IL 60181
- Decks and patios (PDF)
- Dog runs (PDF)
- Driveways (residential) (PDF)
- Fences (PDF)
- Garages (PDF)
- Handicap ramps / lifts (PDF)
- Sheds (PDF)
- Sidewalks, approaches, and curbs (PDF)
- Signs (PDF)
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas (PDF)
Permit application checklists are provided for larger projects to assist applicants with the preparation of all the necessary materials required when submitting a permit application.
Residential Permit Application Checklists
Commercial Permit Application Checklists