2001-2010 Historic Preservation Award Recipients

The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.

2010

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village of Villa Park and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Old Is The New Green." This year, Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program awards three recipients in the Historic Preservation category.

At the Village Board meeting, (April 26, 2010), the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

  • Stephen and Shayne Prosser for their large Prairie style two story stucco house situated on a large lot at 411 South Summit Avenue. It was built in 1915 and is named the Majewski House (PDF) after its builder and first original owner. It was later sold to William Shier. From 1930 to 1941 it was owned by Abraham and Rose Sheinman. Then in 1941, Anthony and Valeria Martisius owned it. In 1991, the Prossers' purchased the home and have been lovingly restoring the interior and exterior and have done extensive landscaping and building improvements. This house was featured on the 2009 House Walk.
  • Robert and Nancy Richards for their spacious brick Bungalow located at 421 South Euclid Avenue. It features many windows, lovely woodwork and has been improved for modern day living on the interior. It is named the Barrett House (PDF) after its original owner and was built in 1926. Arthur Barrett and his wife Mabel lived here until 1944. He was a clerk at Gas Co. Then George and Edna Weick purchased the house and lived there until 1964. It was then purchased by Kenneth and Nancy Jacobs who owned it for the next 20 years. In 1983, the Richards purchased the house. This house was also featured on the 2009 House Walk.
  • Adam and Emily Klintworth for their stucco Bungalow located at 128 South Ardmore Avenue. It features many windows, lovely woodwork and has been extensively restored back to its original interior condition. The exterior is original and typical of the type of homes that were affordable during that time period. It is named the Dennison House (PDF) after its original owner and was built in 1926. The land was purchased in 1916 when Villa Park was named Ardmore. It took 10 years to save money to build the house. Clifford and Bessie lived here until 1954 when William and Evelyn Markowski purchased it. In 1965, James and Patricia McCloskey bought the house. Then in 1973, Mary Laskero and Josephine Termine purchased it and lived there until 2009.

2009

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated within the Village of Villa Park and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Creating the future in harmony with our pasts." This year, Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program awards three recipients in the Historic Preservation category. At the Village Board meeting, (April 27, 2009), the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

  • Robert and Thelma Pierson for their large vine-covered 2 ½ story English Tudor farmhouse located at 237 South Villa Avenue. It was built in 1911 and is named the Wm. EF. SEAR House (PDF) after the original owner. In 1954, the Piersons' bought this house that had been owned by family members since 1942. On the large side yard there is a lovely hosta garden containing many species cultivated by the current owner.
  • Arnold and Cynthia Olsen for their prairie style Bungalow located at 249 South Villa Avenue and built by Charles Heisen, an early developer of Villa Park. It features many leaded and stained glass windows and lovely woodwork. It is named the Hamilton House (PDF) after its original owner and was built in 1911. For over twenty years it was occupied by John C. Sterett, another significant developer of early Villa Park.

Both houses are located in the original Villa Park subdivision, established in 1908. Their presence on Villa Avenue is significant as they were among the first houses built on this street.

2008

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated within the Village and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "This Place Matters". At the Village Board meeting, (April 28, 2008), the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

  • John and Kathy Van for their large historic 1920 house located at 326 South Myrtle Avenue. Its architectural style is a transition between Queen Anne and Tudor with custom design elements present not typical of homes in Villa Park. It was featured in the promotional "1920 Glimpse of Villa Park" booklet to attract wealthy families to Villa Park. This prestigious house features an unusual lunette window located in the front peak. It is named the Baker House (PDF) after its original owner who was the President of the Village of Villa Park from 1919 to 1923.
  • Frances Loerzel for her 1916 Bungalow style house located at 307 Astor Court. This modest frame house features a nice front porch, entry stairs and is located in a lovely historic neighborhood. This type of house was typical of the average family who settled in Villa Park during this time period. It is named the Briggs House (PDF) after its original owner.
  • Michael and Alesia Bailey for their unique 1928 English Tudor style house located at 419 South Princeton Avenue. This large home features a tile roof, stone and brick construction and has a very large lot. It is named the Roll House (PDF) after its original owner. Earl Roll had served on the District 45 School Board for 12 years and was the secretary of the Villa Park Police and Fire Commission.
  • Eugene and Elizabeth Beausoleil for their circa 1908 Early Colonial Revival (PDF) style house located at 502 S. Princeton Avenue. This house resides on the former Diedrick Meyer farmstead. In 1908, Henry Austin purchased this property. Then in 1920, it was sold it to Otto and Bertha Wertzler, a possible descendent of the Meyer family. In 1925, George M. Smith and his wife Margaret bought the property. Later in 1927 it was sold to his son George C. and wife Florence who lived here for 15 years. The Smith family founded G.M. Smith & Son, a successful local real estate company that was established in 1920 and is still in business today. In early 1942, the Ashford family owned the property for four months and then it was sold to John and Charlotte Morris. It was in 1975 that the current owners, Eugene and Elizabeth Beausoleil, purchased the property and began to substantially improve it along with raising their children Mark, Matt, John, Luke and Michelle.

2007

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Making Preservation Work". At the Village Board meeting, (April 23, 2007), the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

  • Lou and Muffie LeMieux for their historic circa 1910 American Four-square style located at 333 East Highland Avenue. This house was one of the first homes built by early developer Charles Heisen in the Villa subdivision. It has many bay windows and a large, sweeping front porch. It is named the Sculley House (PDF) after its original owner.
  • James and Jean Vrchota for their unique 1927 English Tudor style house located at 537 South Illinois Avenue. It features leaded windows, stone and brick construction and a massive chimney. It is named the Watt House (PDF) after its original owner.
  • Carole Ann and David Colby, Sr. for their very large circa 1890 Victorian house (PDF) located at 17W437 Hill Street. It was originally located at 201 South York Street in Elmhurst, Illinois and had been donated to Immaculate Conception Church. In the 1960s, Tom Lynch purchased the house and had it moved in two pieces to this large Suburb Hill subdivision lot in Villa Park. Ornate trim adorn the windows
  • Jim Protine for his Sears Catalog Home Hollywood (PDF) model, built in 1919 at 329 East Park Boulevard. This large two-story stucco house has a large front porch and stone chimney on the outside wall. Its interior has many built-in features and original woodwork.
  • Joseph and Karen Cericola for their Sears Catalog Home Hollywood (PDF) model, built in 1927 at 314 South Riverside Drive. This house has a very large front porch and many craftsman details.
  • Virginia Wade and Ed Riegert for their Sears Catalog Home Sherburne (PDF) model built in 1920 at 318 South Myrtle Avenue. It is a large two-story house boasts nine foot ceilings and charm.
  • Michael and Dawn Keating for their Sears Catalog Home Barrington (PDF) model built in 1927 at 102 North 3rd Avenue. It has a third floor attic and a front entry with a peaked dormer.

2006

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Sustain America - Vision, Economics, and Preservation". At the Village Board meeting, (April 24, 2006), the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

Historic Preservation Awards were presented to:

  • George and Marianne Kolak for their historic 1903 Prairie-style farmhouse located at 240 South Myrtle Avenue. The Montgomery House (PDF) was one of the first homes built by early developer Charles Heisen in the Villa subdivision. The first owner was the Montgomery family. Silent child movie star "Baby Peggy" was born in 1918 in her grandfather's house and started to work at age 19 months after her father, Jack Montgomery, a famous cowboy stuntman, moved his family to Hollywood. After appearing in over 150 two-reels, she retired at the age of 10 and later became a successful author.
  • Donald and Chris Shore for their historic 1909 vernacular farmhouse located at 619 East Madison Street. The Wyckoff House (PDF) is located on land that was originally part of the Asa Knapp farmstead established in 1842. In 1908, developer Frank E. Ballard purchased the property and created the "Park Farms" subdivision. The first owner was George G. Wyckoff. Today, the Sugar Creek Golf Course resides on much of the former Knapp farm.
  • Lastly, a Sears Catalog Home award was given to Scott Iselin for his unique brick Crescent (PDF) model Sear's mail-order house, located at 242 Astor Court and built in 1925. The original owner, Vic Hansen, was a part-time bookkeeper for Villa Park Fuel Company and was head auditor for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. In 1949, Vic Hansen and Ray Rugaard purchased the business equally. In the 1960s, Rugaard bought out Hansen and it then became the Villa Park Material Company, Inc.

2005

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Restore America: Communities at a Crossroads". At the Village Board meeting, (April 25, 2005) the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

Historic Landmark awards were presented to:

  • The owners of the Coolidge House for their sensitive preservation of their 1915 prairie-style house located at 307 South Illinois Avenue. It is named the Coolidge House (PDF) after the first owner. It is featured in the 1920 Glimpse of Villa Park Book.
  • Robert and Sandra Dollinger for their sensitive preservation of their 1916 prairie-style house located at 310 Astor Court. It is named the Toebelman House (PDF) after the first owner who was the first treasurer of Ardmore. It was built by Charles Heisen.
  • Bill and Judy Degnan for their sensitive preservation of their 1926 Colonial Revival style home located at 411 South Ardmore. It is named the Mabee House (PDF) after the original owner who was a civic leader and historian.
  • David and Carrie Van Daff for their sensitive preservation of their 1931 English Tudor style house located at 37 South Oakland Avenue. It is named the Hubbard House (PDF) after the first owner.
  • Sam and Nancy Pape for their historic circa 1928 Dutch Colonial Revival style house located at 24 South Monterey Avenue. It was originally located on the former Ovaltine property on Villa Avenue and was later moved to its present site in the 1950s. It is named the Steiner House (PDF) after Gottlieb Steiner, who relocated from Switzerland to oversee the construction of the former Ovaltine factory.
  • John and Lisa Pittman for their wonderfully restored and preserved Argyle (PDF) model Sear's mail-order house located at 17 West 476 Hill Street and built in 1925.
  • Lastly, the Sears Catalog Home awards was given to Doug and Therese Lehman for their Crescent (PDF) model Sear's mail-order house, located at 127 South Harvard and was built in 1927. It boasts quality features, such as oak built-ins and restored woodwork. As the family grew, Doug expanded his house for today's lifestyle.

2004

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the week of May 3rd. This year's theme was "New Frontiers in Preservation". At the Village Board meeting, (April 26, 2004) the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

Historic Preservation awards were presented to: 

  • Steve and Monika Hall for their sensitive preservation of their 1920 prairie-style home located at 346 East Highland Avenue. It is named the Heisen House (PDF) after the original owner. Mr. Heisen was an early developer of Villa Park. The new owners of the home, Chris and Jill Quinn, are delighted to have this recognition.
  • Art and Mary Ann Simms for their sensitive preservation of their 1928 arts and crafts style house located at 130 South Yale Avenue. It is named the Boettcher House (PDF) after the first owner.

Historic Landmark awards were presented to: 

  • The Ardmore Historic Landmark District (PDF), established in 1910, was awarded a Historic Landmark plaque to recognize its significance to the Village of Villa Park. These buildings represent such an important part of Villa Park's heritage and history and its future. This district is located in the center or heart of the community. It consists of a variety of diverse buildings with distinctive architecture that now services the community and surrounding area in many ways. Included in this district are many commercial buildings, churches, school, Gazebo, and the Ardmore Avenue Station.
  • The Villa Historic Landmark District (PDF), established in 1908, was awarded a Historic Landmark plaque to recognize its significance to the Village of Villa Park. These buildings represent such an important part of Villa Park's heritage and history and its future. It consists of a variety of diverse buildings with distinctive architecture that now services the community and surrounding area in many ways. Included in this district are the former Ovaltine factory buildings and chimney, Villa Avenue Station, Great Western Depot, Cortesi Park, Villa Park Bank, Community Recreation Center, and many commercial buildings.
  • Lastly, the Sears Catalog Home award was given to Michael and Deanna Orlowski for their wonderfully restored and preserved Haven (PDF) model Sears's mail-order house, located at 138 South Michigan Avenue.

2003

Villa Park President Rae Rupp Srch and Preservation Commission Chairwoman Carol Marcus presented the 2003 Historic Plaque Awards to the Poggi, Palm, Kalkanian, Smith, McHone and Winter families on May 4, 2003 at the Villa Park Historical Society. They were recognized for their preservation efforts in maintaining historic homes and buildings that are significant to the heritage of Villa Park. At the 

At the Village Board meeting, (April 28, 2003) the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque Awards.

Historic Preservation awards were presented to: 

  • Lawrence and Christina Poggi for their sensitive preservation of their distinctive English style home located at 404 South Illinois Avenue It is named the Black House (PDF) after the original owner and was built in 1936.
  • Gerald and Maren Palm for their sensitive preservation of their Bungalow style home located at 617 South Wisconsin Avenue It is named the Stilla House (PDF) after the original owner and was built in 1928. It is an excellent example of how older housing can be expanded for modern day use without compromising on its original design.

Historic Landmark awards were presented to: 

  • Attorney Gerald S. Kalkanian for his commercial building (PDF) built in 1911 by Col. Calhoun and operated as the first grocery store, supplying only staple goods. In 1922, it was moved from Villa Avenue to its current site at 336 East Central Boulevard Since 1982, it has been serving as Kalkanian's law office.
  • Ana Smith for her commercial building (PDF) located at 203 South Villa Avenue It was built in 1924 by the National Tea Company and operated as a full-service grocery store in the thriving Villa Avenue business district. Recently, the brickwork on the front facade was restored to its original condition. Since 1970, it has been the home of G.M. Smith & Son, a family owned business that has been in the Village since 1920.
  •  Robert and Lillian McHone, for their post-war Reedy Ranch (PDF) home built in 1956 and located at 112 North Ardmore Avenue This house served as a model for the J.W. Reedy Construction Company This firm built over 200 ranch homes similar to this type in Villa Park and the surrounding community. J.W. Reedy is celebrating their 75th Anniversary this year.
  • The Sears Catalog Home Award was given to Kenneth and Stephanie Winter for their Crescent (PDF) model Sears mail-order house, located at 109 North Second Avenue and built in 1927.

2002

National Historic Preservation Week, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the week of May 12th. The theme was "Preserving the Spirit of Place". At the Village Board Meeting, (May 13, 2002), the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

The Historic Preservation award was given to Warren Stewart for his sensitive restoration of his 1925 "Spanish eclectic" style home located at 307 South Monterey. It is named the Emms House (PDF) after the original owner. Warren researched and restored the stucco and clay tiles to its original color scheme. Early developers had envisioned Villa Park to be a "town of villas". This was influenced by the popularity of Spanish Revival style.

Historic Landmark awards were presented to: 

  • William and Annette Franz for their farmhouse built in 1864 and located at 747 South Oakland. It is named the Scharlau House (PDF) after the family that first settlers who farmed the land and ran a fruit orchard.
  • Caroline Hightower, for her farmhouse built in circa 1850 and located at 27 East Jackson. It is named the Golterman House (PDF) after the early settlers who first lived there and raised their 17 children.
  • Ron Leston, owner of Pioneer Garden and Feed Supply, received an award for his Feed Store (PDF) built in 1908 and located at 118 South Villa. In the early days, the store sold chicken feed and milled grain. Since 1965, the Leston family has owned the business at this location.
  • Anona Center East, a private club (PDF), for their commercial building built in 1926 and located at 125 South Villa. They have made considerable storefront improvements. Originally, it was an A&P Grocery and a Ben Franklin variety store.
  • Raymond and Tammy Hensley for their commercial building built in 1915 and located at 7 East Park (PDF). Extensive refurbishing has been done to the exterior and interiors. Back in the early days, it had been Meehan's Drug store then became Hill's Pharmacy. Dr. Cortesi had his practice upstairs. It is currently Doc Hensley's Antiques and Furniture Repair.
  • The Sears & Davis Commercial Building built in 1928 is located at 336 South Ardmore (PDF). It was here that the Village had their offices for a short period while the Village Hall was built. Sears had been the Village President. The building has very distinctive terra cotta ornamentation on the front façade.
  • Lastly, the Sears Catalog Home award was given to Robert and Betty Bratschun for their Martha Washington (PDF) model Sears mail-order house, located at 524 South Villa Avenue and built in 1925.

2001

National Preservation Week 2001, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the week of May 14, 2001. The 2001 theme was "Restore, Renew, Rediscover Your Historic Neighborhood Schools!" Starting in 2001, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission expanded their annual Historic Plaque Program to include awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.

At the Village Board meeting, (May 14, 2001), Village President Rae Rupp Srch and the Preservation Commission presented plaques to the 2001 winners.

Historic Landmark awards were presented to: 

  • Villa Park School District 45 for the Ardmore School (PDF). The Ardmore School was built in 1911 and is located at 225 South Harvard Avenue. It started out as a four-room school with 59 students enrolled and was the first school in Villa Park.
  • Saint Alexander's Parish for Saint Alexander School (PDF). Saint Alexander School was built in 1925 and is located at 136 South Cornell Avenue. Before this school opened, its 56 registered students were taught in a one-room schoolhouse located in the temporary church building.
  • The first recipient to receive the Sears Catalog Home plaque was Mrs. Alma Hebenstreit. Her mail order house is located at 531 South Euclid Avenue and was authenticated to be the Rodessa model built in 1923.
  • Village of Villa Park for the restoration of the Chicago Great Western Railroad Depot (PDF). It was built in 1926 and is located at Cortesi Park.