Carbon Monoxide Tips
- Have your furnace, venting system, and chimney inspected each year by a qualified contractor.
- Periodically check your furnace and water heater vent pipes for rust, corrosion or damage. Replace pipes if necessary.
Avoid enclosed combustion
- Don't use your gas range to heat your home.
- Never burn charcoal in your home, garage, work shed, or recreational vehicle, or in any enclosed area.
- Be sure your chimney flue is open each time you use your fireplace.
- Never run a car engine, lawn mower, snow blower, or other combustion engine in a closed area like your garage or basement.
- When camping, do not operate a fuel-burning heater, lantern, or range inside your tent or RV without proper ventilation. Always follow the manufacturer's directions for use.
- Flu-like symptoms, including; headaches, dizziness, nausea, coughing, and irregular breathing, and heartbeat.
- Victims may appear pale, but then develop a cherry red color on lips and ear tips.
- Be suspicious if everyone in your household is experiencing the same symptoms-especially animals, because they can't get the flu.
- Get fresh air immediately!
- Go to a neighbor's house and call 9-1-1 immediately, even if the victim appears to be recovering.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector Features
- An audible alarm that stops automatically within minutes when gas dissipates
- Approval certification with the UL 2023 or American Gas Association
- A power light indicating power is on
- A digital display or warning light that signals low levels of CO
- A manufacturer's warranty that indicates the life of the detector
- A test button to verify the detector is working
- A manual hush / reset button to silence the alarm, but the sensor remains active so the unit continues taking readings
- An intermittent alarm to indicate low battery, or a problem with the circuitry
- Plug-in models with a 6-foot power cord
Please contact the Fire Department at 630-833-5350 with any questions.